Employers are obliged to comply with the regulation regarding the medical insurance (ZV) for their employees and the dependents of employees.
Employers are obliged to comply with the regulations concerning the accident insurance (OV) for their employees.
Both insurances are part of the social security system of Sint Maarten (in Dutch: sociale zekerheidsstelsel) and are executed based on legislation, in which the rules and regulations are stipulated.
The ZV and OV insurances are mandatory and are mainly employee insurances. Therefore, an employer cannot choose to opt out. The employer benefits from the insurance in case of sick-leave, as the SZV insurances cover loss of wages.
SZV Employer Obligations
All employers with employees are required to register at SZV
- If you have no employees you are not considered an employer and consequently you are not obligated to register your company at SZV.
All employees must be registered at SZV no matter their salary amount or amount of working days/hours- via Employer Portal
- The salary amount and/or amount of working days will be determine if the employee will be insured for both medical insurance (ZV) and accident insurance (OV) or only for accident insurance (OV).
Submit employee changes – via Employer Portal
- Employee mutations regarding commencement and termination must be submitted to SZV within two days in which the change occurred.
- Employee mutations regarding changes in employment such as salaries and functions should be submitted monthly, before the 15th of the following month in which the change occurred.
Accident on the job
- Employers must submit an accident form to SZV immediately after an employee has an accident on the job. The form can only be filled in by the employer.
Information if not active
- SZV must be notified within 2 working days by the employer, when the employer has ceased operations (inactive) or if the employer becomes dormant due to having no employees in service.
Monthly and Yearly declarations of premiums and contribution
- The employer must declare a monthly basis the wages for sickness and accident insurance through the Employer Portal.
- ZV/OV declarations must be filled in and submitted, completely and accurately by the 15th of each month. If the declarations are not submitted, you will be assessed. Non-payment of the assessment will result in further collection measures.
- ZV/OV premium payments must be paid by the 15th of each month
- AOV/AWW premium payments must be paid by the 15th of each month.
- Cessantia contributions are due each year and must be paid between January 1st and June 30th.